Saturday, February 19, 2005

Brave Thoughts

I am staying in Berkeley for the weekend, housesitting and watching the kitties for my little sis and her husband. I came across a tiny, old book by their bedside called, "The Book of Courage: A Little Book of Brave Thoughts." Just what I need right about now, some words of encouragement. Here are a few I liked best:

"There are seasons when to be still demands immensely higher strength than to act." - Channing

"We are haunted by an ideal life, and it is because we have within us the beginning and the possibility of it."
- Phillip Brooks

"What your heart thinks great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." -Emerson

"It was high counsel that Jones heard given to a young person-'Always do what you are afraid to do.'" -Emerson

I think I am lonesome. I'm not used to being alone nor do I know how to "be still." I am looking for the strength to do both. I think I am going on a "Love Sabbatical." My heart is weary. I have lost my resiliency and have misplaced my smile. I'm on a quest to find the woman I am supposed to be. I'll keep you posted.

The girls (aka Simba & Peanut, aka the kitties) are running around the apartment like kindergarteners on speed. My latte is getting cold and my new book is waiting for me to read it (the book is called: "A Blind Man Could See How Much I Love You" - isn't that a great title?). I'm listening to The Shins. Good stuff. It is raining and I am glad about that.

2 comments:

Mr. Rodacre said...

You know, they say you can never really love someone else until you love yourself first... I mean if you can't be happy with yourself, how could anyone else be happy with you - right? Not that that is always an easy proposition - I mean we all have things we don't like about ourselves and we constantly look to others for validation and acceptance of who we are. While this can be a good thing on occassion to help boost one's ego, those perceptions from the outside may only be what we choose to hear.

But then, of course, there are those few who actually do see through all the bullshit and self-loathing to the person inside of us that we lost sight of. And we usually don't want to hear them because it's so much easier to believe all of the things that we think are wrong with us.

I say embark on your quest... You'll find the woman you are supposed to be right where you left her, and it will feel like home. I know this much - she's not "out there" - she is within. And she is beautiful.

Sizzle said...

Mr. Rodacre,
I do believe you have made an Irish girl blush. Your words are true and from the heart and for that, I thank you my friend.
:) Sizzle