Thursday, October 05, 2006

Where's Your Sense of Humor?

Sometimes work can just drone on and on. You know, you're in your cubicle typing and working and making calls. You're busy. You might not even turn around to say hello to anyone for hours at a time. This isn't good. Human nature wants connection. Sometimes you've got to reach out and touch someone.

I was shopping the other day and found these eyeball glasses. In the same store, I found a bag of foil-wrapped chocolates made to look like eyeballs. So I bought both and brought them into the office. One day after a long stretch of paying too much attention and getting too much done, I decided to put the glasses on and walk around the office offering eyeballs.

The look on their faces was priceless.

Well, that is, if I could have seen it out of those blasted small eyeholes! My boss broke out a package of fake teeth to really round out the look. (The mere fact that she HAD fake teeth at her desk gives her bonus points.) At least I got some laughs and people got some chocolates. I'm not shy when it comes to making a fool of myself in public on purpose. I am the one who dances in the grocery store aisles, don't you forget. It's only when I trip on the stairs and fall in front of everyone that I start to feel shy. Planned embarrassment = good. Unplanned embarrassment = not good.

11 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

I'm one of those people who's so shy I get embarrassed for other people. It's a sickness. Offices need more people like you - it sounds like you make work more fun! Also? I'm now craving chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Aw man! I wish you were coming around my office to offer chocolate!

Anonymous said...

fun is overrated. get back to work.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, we would have SO much fun if we worked together. I'm the girl who all the sudden puts on her 80's music and turns it up for the whole office to dance to.

I also got a really long piece of bubble wrap in the mail once, like 15' long and I stretched it from one end of the office to the other and ran back and forth. Like a slip 'n slide!

I like fun, fun is good :)

B Merrick said...

You know how they always say we turn into our mothers?

I really hope this doesn't happen to me.

xox

JustRun said...

Way to keep the office fun... I'd die right here in my ergonomic chair without it. :)

Anonymous said...

I was thinking it would be fun to wear my tiara to Curves, but your wearing eyeball glasses beats the crap out of that!

Now, hand over a chocolate eyeball, please.

sue said...

Whaaaa! I want you workin' in MY office!

My office manager has his own version of fun... he breaks into song at a mintues notice. I can tell his kids are growing up - it used to be Sesame Street songs, now we're into more "popular" tunes. :)

Margaret said...

Are those Palmer's milk chocolate eye balls filled with caramel?

I wish you worked in my office.

Claire said...

Nice fangs. The bag o' eyes is perfect!

Nihilistic said...

Why oh why can't we work together???