Friday, March 03, 2006

And My Point Is: I Don't Have One

It's Friday. I've taken a sick day. I feel like rambling.

Thank you baby Jesus that the Olympics are over. They were seriously interrupting my must see Thursday night TV. Yay for The Office! I don't get why American Idol needs to be stretched out so godawful long. Torture us why don't you? Who thought up the idea that losers should sing one last time? I mean - they lost. That means we don't like them. That means I sure as hell don't want to hear them sing ever again. Most especially Brenna. She bugs big time. Ugh. Good riddance. The show could be like 10 minutes if they'd stop the high dramatics.

Speaking of high dramatics. . . about 10 minutes from a clean get away at work last night I was met with some seriously high dramatics. I am so over the high dramatics. I remained calm. Even used my soothing voice. The one The Tomato says could make anyone fall asleep- this said because he used to call me to listen to me talk so he could fall asleep easier. Apparently, I would make a great hypnotherapist. Or phone sex operator. (Did I just say that aloud?) So back to the high dramatics. I am over it. Ok. End of story.

Just kidding! Of course there is more. Remember, brevity isn't one of my strongest assets. I am very tired of dealing with work crap. I realized this week that I have been acting as the (at the very least) Assistant Director for months and months, even when I had a boss. Everyone comes to me. I don't mind it except that I can't really get everything I need to get done, done. I have been told to "just say no" like my fellow employees are offering me candy at a Weight Watchers meeting. As if. It fundamentally goes against my nature to say no to a person in need, particularly people near and dear to me who are without supervisors. I can't and I won't do it. I will, however, take a sick day to relax. (Yes, relax. I said it. I am gonna try really hard this time. I swear!)

I don't think my "talking her off a ledge" speech worked yesterday with high dramatics person. We are all responsible for our participation in the problem and in the solution. If you don't like what is happening you have to get real and speak up. Don't go throwing a hissy fit, declaring you are quitting and storm off thinking THAT is going to solve anything. I used to do that shit all the time. When I was 17. (Right Mom?) Let's grow up people. Please. For the love of all that is good and holy. Give me an effing break. (Thank you Nell Carter, may you rest in peace.)

So, I met some work friends for drinks after work. As we sat there downing jack & cokes and beers, all we could seem to talk about was work. Apparently we all needed to vent. Actually, for once I kept my mouth shut. I kinda had to since I was bearing the brunt of the onslaught of dissatisfaction. As the person with the highest authority at the drinking table, I got to hear an earful. At one point I leaned over to my friend and said, "There is not enough alcohol in the world right now to make this all ok." Escapism. I love ya.

Hello weekend. It's good to see you again.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Escapism is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Gary said...

Girl, sometimes you're just too good for your own good. Enjoy your weekend. It sounds like it might be time for another trip to Mexico.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you took a sick day! Go you! Enjoy your weekend Sizz.

Anonymous said...

As someone once said to me when I started managing people, "welcome to being the subject of your co-workers' dinner conversations with their parents". Ick, ick, ick.

I feel that I'd be very good at being retired. Just for the record. Enjoy your day off!

Bill said...

I didn't see any American Idol this week. Glad to hear Brenna got the heave-ho though.

When going for drinks after work I use to try changing the subject or even trying to get everyone to but into, "We can talk about anything except work tonight." Nothing ever worked.

These days I find myself getting very bored very fast when the subject of work comes up. I think, "Geez ... it's not my life; it's a pay cheque. There's gotta be something better to talk about."

I'm very disengaged these days, it seems. Sort of good; sort of not good.

Poz Mikey said...

My feelings about this is the same as Kevin's

Mrs. Ca said...

HAPPY SICK DAY! On a Friday no less, so you get a 3-day weekend! Woohoo! Can you tell I'm excited that it's Friday? I am!

Hope the work problems solve themselves soon, and have a great weekend!

jeopardygirl said...

When you come to the realization that "There is not enough alcohol in the world right now to make this all ok", then it's time to stop--for today, anyhow.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who doesn't get hangovers. I just don't. Occasionally, I'll get a little dry mouth, or a bit of a headache, but that's about it.

It's not as idyllic as it sounds, though. I mean, if you know you're not going to suffer any after effects, then you think you can keep drinking. Pretty soon, you're buying everyone drinks, and getting free drinks from strangers, and before you know it, you're dancing on the bar with your top off and grinding against Dirk, the 21-year old busboy who looks like Steve from Blue's Clues.

Okay, I think I've said too much. You might get the wrong (right?) idea.

Having said all that, have a fantastic weekend, Sizz!

Melissa said...

Oh! Have a fabulous day off. Enjoy some sunshine, take a long nap, read, get a facial or just sit and stare out the window.

Anonymous said...

you can't escape the truth, it will find you no matter where you hide.

erin said...

Thumbs up for the Friday sick day. I am in need of one of those.

Also, love the shades! Enjoy your weekend!

Mr. Rodacre said...

One of the beautiful things about TiVo is that the American Idol results show can be winnowed down to about half an hour.

Once you blow through the recap at the top of the show, commercials, the hokey group song they always do and all of the losers singing again... really there's only like 4 minutes of actually content.

Sizzle said...

dumpling, did you actually just type "winnowed"? ha ha ha. that is so. . . you. indeed! xoxo, sizz

Nihilistic said...

I hope you had one for me!

Buffy said...

Honestly, The Office - Best Show EVER.

I never thought it would live up to the British version that inspired it...but Gervais is whooped.

Anonymous said...

i think everyone should have a "sick day" once a month-really a mental health day.

Anonymous said...

really, what would Jack & Coke be without work bitching? Oh wait, it might be a good time! Still, I had one anyway.

kisses - Jules