Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Airborne Failed Me

I have a head cold. It's a half-assed one which is annoying. I mean, if I am gonna feel achy, stuffy headed, sneezey and sore throated, at least hit me with it full force. Chock it up to my Aries nature, but I don't like to do things half-way.

I tend to catch a cold when a) I have way too much work to do, b) I have a very full social calendar and c) the weather is nice outside. At work, I can't call in sick even though I have about 3 weeks of sick time. It feels like there are only 4 of us who work there so with one person out, we feel the crunch. Besides, I have people to supervise, an event to plan, volunteers to schedule, a phone to answer and checks to sign. Every night this week, I have something scheduled. Leave it to my immune system to go and screw it all up.

I forget to eat when I am sick. Like yesterday, I hadn't eaten since 8:00 am. It was about 5:30 pm when I realized I should probably eat. But then nothing sounded good. My taste buds are dormant. They don't care about soup or toast. They washed their taste bud hands of the whole thing. I settled on a Jamba Juice thinking, it's fruity and you can get a boost which will be "healthy." It ended up tasting so sweet, I felt like I was drinking sugar. And trust me when I tell you, I generally do not suffer from a sugar sensitivity. On the way back to my office (for a meeting that no one showed up for- ahem!) from Jamba Juice, I glanced in the window of a local bookstore. Lucky me, I managed to catch a glimpse of a fella mining for gold. Ugh, why must people do these things in public. It is downright nauseating. And while I am complaining, what is with the spitters?!

I can't really sleep well when I am sick. I have bizarre dreams. I wake up 100 times. Mostly, this time around, I wake up due to cats who think that 3:00 am is the perfect time to practice acrobatics and kitty derby. I am not amused. I have resorted to laying down the law, wielding my trusting spray bottle. That'll learn 'em!

And then! Well. . . I've got nothing. You see, when I am sick, I am not that amusing. Well, I AM but only to myself. All I've got for you is rants on bad sleep and public nose pickers. Tune in tomorrow for The Tire Tread Debacle & Why Headbands Give Me Headaches. Riveting. Sincerely.

21 comments:

Poz Mikey said...

Great posting for feeling bad. I love the line perfect time to pratice acrobatics and kitty derby. I know what you mean.LOLOLOL

Dan said...

Coldbuster JambaJuice with extra immunity boost! Oh, and throw in a fiber boost, because, well, I am getting on in age.

There seem to be at least three different blog genres: the policital/news blogs, the "I'm a pretty girl, come watch me lift up my skirt" blogs, and the misery inspired blogs.

I prefer the misery inspired blogs. :-)

Will said...

"There seem to be at least three different blog genres: the policital/news blogs, the "I'm a pretty girl, come watch me lift up my skirt" blogs, and the misery inspired blogs.

I prefer the misery inspired blogs. :-)"

Wait, my subscription offer said this blog was a "I'm a pretty girl, come watch me lift up my skirt" blog?!?!

I guess I will stick around anyway as long as there isnt too much vomit talk.

Bill said...

I've got something too but it's not a cold. It feels like premature geriatrics - all I do is sleep and ache all over. Must be the time of year. Bad February!

Anonymous said...

Girl! I am feeling your pain! I am still recovering from Phlegm Phest 06. Ick!

Feel Better!

Sizzle said...

there will be no vomit talk.

promise.

Jenster said...

What IS up with the damn spitters? That's just nasty.

Those sick dreams are always really weird. Feel better soon!

Amanda said...

Hey Sizz take it easy! I know about the half assed sick.. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Will said...

"there will be no vomit talk.

promise."

Excellent. I can handle snoty noses, sneezing, and coughing. (from a distance). And, if I really have to, I will hold your hair if you have to throw up. But I REALLY dont wanna!

Melissa said...

Hell I'm just so pleased you decided to share a photo of a gold miner in action. ew.

Claire said...

The weather changes have been getting to my sinuses, though today is better. I hope you feel better soon. Try to schedule in some veg time this week, so you can make it to the weekend.

Anonymous said...

no, leave the vomit talk to me...

get to feeling better!

Mr. Rodacre said...

ooooh the "Tire Tread Debacle" is my FAVORITE!

...and I can't wait for "Why Headbands Give Me Headaches"!

hannahhas said...

I am terribly sorry that your cold brought me so much entertainment... but dear God... laughing... "digging for gold"... "kitty derby"...

You go crawl in bed and I shall bring you some chicken soup now...

Amy S. Petrik said...

...it's going around. i just drank some generic cherry NyQuil. feel better soon.

Nihilistic said...

Ever read what is actually in Airborne? You take a Centrum and it would be the same thing!

Gary said...

I never took you for a cat sprayer. My kind of gal.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that the stuff that you are recommended to do during an illness is always the stuff you never can do? Eat this. Drink that. Sleep this long.

Vicious cycle.

Get better. I'm still nursing a cough that I've had for almost six weeks now.

Anonymous said...

I'm the biggest baby when I get sick, I turn into this really needy version of myself that's somewhat amusing.

Hope you feel better soon Sizz!

Anonymous said...

I watched someone take Airborne once. I swear it almost killed her.

I'll take my chances with the germs. They probably don't even taste as bad.

sue said...

Poor baby... take care of yourself.

I don't know why,but the animals sense it when we're awake then have to commence entertaining us... hmmmm...