Thursday, July 14, 2005

My Sister

Today, Dokey turns thirty. Officially.

If you don't have the pleasure of knowing my sweet sister, I feel a bit sorry for you because in all honesty, you are missing out- big time. She's a gem, my little Dokey. A laugh riot. We sometimes get into these fits of crying, doubled-overed laughter that no one but us understands. That's the way it should be- the way of the sister. She's got this throw-back-your-head laugh that is infectious. She knows one joke but she tells it well. She knows everything about me and helps me, time and time again, remember who I am. She's brave- in a fierce but almost unconscious way. She's a crier like our dear Grandma- happy, sad, laughing- it don't matter, there will likely be tears. She will be your quiet ally, counselor in the middle of the night, and dose of sanity in a crazy world if you win her heart. She's generous, nuturing, and tender. She has a melancholy soul that gives her an air of deep knowing that just sort of lingers around you when you are near her. It's like you know she has been around and seen immeasurable grief as well as infinite joy. She's got her finger on the pulse of humanity. She's watching out for you. You trust her because she never gives you reason not to. Her artistic eye captures the world through her camera lense and sometimes you can see her heart through the image she's snapped. She can show you the world the way she sees it, if you care to look. Each year as she comes deeper into herself, she grows bolder and more alluring. A woman who is in her own skin, that's pure beauty. She's all heart, my sweet sis. She's the hug I always long for and the company I seek when I need to feel grounded. I don't know how to be me without her, honestly. She's the love of my life and I adore her past speech.

Happy Birthday Dokey!
Stay gold little sister & rock on with your beautiful self. . .
I lovelovelove you.
Sizzle



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful testimonial to love between sisters. You are both blessed to have the relationship that you have. It makes me so very proud of both of you. Steph for being who she is and you for being able to acknowledge that beauty with such insightful words and feelings. Now turn around and look at you - you are a mirror image.
You are loved as dearly. m

kim e said...

Could she be any cuter?

My sister is my best friend too, so I'm feelin' you.

sue said...

Oh, MAN... now I've gotta cry... That was just soooo beautiful. Oh, and I agree with M.... I don't know you well, but from what I've *seen* you are just as wonderful. Gotta go find a *sniff* tissue...