Monday, May 30, 2005

My Arms Are Open, Wide

All around me friends are experiencing heartbreak, confusion, sorrow. It's times like these that friendships are tested. In a myriad of ways I am asked: How will you show up for me? Will you lend an ear, a shoulder, some sage advice? Can you help me through this? Can you remind me why I am lovable?

And so I make myself available to them. It doesn't matter what time it is or if I am in the middle of something else. These are my dearest loves, my sweet friends. They prop me up when I feel weak and I am honored they call me, stop by, or send an email to me in their time of crisis. . . of all the people in the universe that they reach out to me. It may seem weird to feel blessed in such a time of turmoil but I do. Sincerely, I do. It takes me outside of myself, draws my attention from my over-active mind that whirls with the what ifs and whys to something bigger than myself. It gives me a purpose other than living for me.

And I am reminded that we are all struggling to get it right, to find our path, to find love in all its nuances. And we need each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautifully expressed.
m