Monday, March 14, 2005

Gimme Gimme More!

I had a blast at the Me First & the Gimme Gimmes show last night. Other than the anonymous farter that I was standing down wind of (total Bon Jovi concert flashback, you remember that Tomato?), the spaced/drugged out chick dancing way too slowly to the punk rockin' music standing next to me and the asshole in the leather who would literally hit you as he walked by, the concert was one of the best ones I have been to in recent years. It's fun to rock out to punked out songs originally sung by Cat Stevens, REO Speedwagon, Elton John and the like. The bandmates swapped witty banter and hugs and guzzled some beers. Fat Mike is a crack up. He blamed any bad playing on their "costume" change mid-way through the show. Those shirts were pretty heinous but the first shirts weren't all that stellar either (Hawaiian print on a bright orange background). At one point Fat Mike and Spike were listing off why Santa Cruzans should be happy to be in Santa Cruz. . .like because we have Zachary's (where you can get good breakfast, it is true), and we have Streetlight (where you can pick up some good tunes, like a Me First & the Gimme Gimmes cd) and you can get tattooed. Spike said: "I've seen guys here with tattoos on their necks. I'm not fucking with you." And Fat Mike replied: "That's the everlasting job stopper." There were a bunch of guys with tattoos on their necks at the show- wonder how they took the news? ;)You just had to be there to get the full experience. The only thing missing was the Cowboy. There were a bunch of guys who looked a lot like him but none of them were him.

I'm in a fab mood today. I think I even detected a bit of a swagger to my walk this morning. It could have been the cd I was listening to (Yaz, I felt nostalgic for my high school music) or it could just be that I got my mojo back. The thing to do in these instances is not question it but to just revel in it.

(Breaking News: My favorite Idol on American Idol has dropped out of the competition! I am as devastated as a person addicted to a crappy reality show can be!)

No comments: