Monday, July 24, 2006

This Is My Brain on Unemployment

The heat plus my extended unemployed status is making mush of my brain. It's the little things that are tripping me up. How do you spell cat? What day is it? What is my social security number? You know, the really hard questions are stooping me.

I have more interviews this week. I am interviewing so much that I am forgetting what I've said to which job. With these second and third round interviews, I've got to keep up on which stories I told which prospective employer. Which "challenging situation" story did I tell them? Did I say my strength was being detail oriented or being personable? Shit.

Can I just get a job already!? Because seriously? I am so done with interviewing.

I am grateful for the interviews and flattered for the call backs. I am. I just want to be working. Meeting people. Feeling useful. This alone time has been swell and all but I am ready to move on. So you hear that Universe? Sizzle is ready to work.

To occupy my time, I've been searching out classes- dance, sewing, water jogging, etc. I've also been signing up for volunteer opportunities like helping with the AIDS Walk, ushering at a local theater, that kind of thing. I will get out and conquer this city one way or another. Paid or unpaid, I am getting out of the house.

16 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Sounds like a plan. Hope you get a job soon - sounds like things are on the right track.

Poz Mikey said...

You'll get one hon!!Be strong it took me three months to find one. Oh I want to hook you up with POZseattle. He's an HIV blogger.

egan said...

As long as you don't water jog at my pool, I'm cool with that activity.

Sizzle said...

egan- why can't i do it in your pool? is it evil or something? i need to know!:)

Karl said...

How about I offer you a job as my personal shopper, valet, and model? Would that perk you up? I'll throw in free air conditioning...

Sands said...

Bravo! Veni Vidi Vici! Good luck on the job front babe, I'm on the hunt myself.

Bill said...

Perhaps the tactic to use is some conversational flim flam. They ask about what you said regarding your strengths? "You know, I often think it's not so much about our strengths as it is the attitude we bring to the specific situation and our willingness to do what's necessary to resolve it in a positive way ..."

Or not. Just a thought. :-)

JustRun said...

Good for you, getting out. That's really how you find your way in any city anyway. The job is just part of it (a very important part, I know)!

Gary said...

I just hate it when my brain gets mushy. :)

Anonymous said...

Friday...that's the magic day. You will have a job on Friday. This week.

I know these things...

Becky said...

I have a feeling this is the week it will work out for you. What I hated about interviewing is when they'd ask you a question like, "If I gave you $5 million, what would you do with it?" I had to bite my tongue not to say "not work for you, that's for damn sure."

The Grunt said...

Are you sure that you would rather just settle for that cushy McDonald's job? I figured. Then may my comment here bring you luck and relief--Dream Job be thine, Ms. Sizzle!

Lizzie said...

I'm sure it's not easy, but I've no doubt you'll conquer Seattle! Honestly, it sounds like you're in the right frame of mind. Sometimes it's just a question of when all the pieces will fall in place. Hang in there! ;-)

Bex said...

the job hunt is awful, ive definately been there. stick with it, the right one will find you! best of luck.

sue said...

It's just around the corner, honest!

egan said...

I'm just being a pool brat. You aren't a 24 Hour Fitness member are you? There is NOT a pool at the downtown location. I repeat, not a pool. Thanks for looking away.