Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Get A Job

I finally pushed past my fear and put the kabash on self-sabotaging myself. I buckled down with a self-imposed deadline to finalize my resume and cover letter by Sunday night so I could finally actually apply for jobs. Maybe then being asked daily about my job prospects wouldn't scare the bejesus out of me. Maybe.

Not only did I finalize a chronological resume but I did a functional resume to boot. And I have about 5 variations of a cover letter depending on the type of work I am applying for- event coordination, program management, volunteer coordination or executive leadership. In all, it was a productive day and I managed to submit my resume for six jobs.

Yesterday I got my first call for an interview. That is less than a 24 hour turn around! Holy crap!

Needless to say, I cannot pop on over and meet them but they are keeping me in mind if they do not find a candidate locally. I'm not even that bummed that I might miss out on this job. It's well suited for me but I've done the work before so it might not be very challenging and it might not be a step up. Either way, I am flattered and feel like the job search is off to a great start.

I sent out a mass email to my address book informing everyone that I am moving at the end of June. I've been inundated with well wishing emails-some from blasts from the past I haven't spoken to in ages. I can tell this is the beginning of the flood of feeling. Memories. Honest expression of emotion. Appreciation. I joke that it's almost like I am dying without having to actually die. Morbid, I know. But that's what it feels like! I'm trying to stay present in the moment and really relish in all of this.

Deep breath.

12 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Wow, that was a fast turn around time for an interview! Congrats on getting your resume and everything together, that's never an easy task. Good luck finding a job up there! It sounds like you'll do great.

Amanda said...

Nice! You are off to a Great start!! Keep it up!

kapgar said...

Good luck with the hunt. I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Kris said...

You can do this! :) Hang in there, sweets.

Claire said...

Wow, good for you. Sounds like you're well on track for the job hunt. Good luck!

gorillabuns said...

you will have no problems finding a job. you will be turning them away!

JustRun said...

I'm so excited for you and I don't even know you. For whatever irrational reason, I feel like you're going to do great up there!

Bre said...

That's a great turn-around! Was your resume pink and scented? That would get my attention....

It's so wonderful that you have been flooded with appreciation lately! You deserve it!

jjjj said...

good luck on the search... sadly on the prairie i'm not having much luck.

Krisco said...

Well - that's a really great analogy. You are ending this life - er, "ending" I mean stopping this whole city/job/convenient friends deal - and starting a new one.

I think it's exciting.

And probably good you see it that way. Otherwise a big move like that could be a shock.

Nihilistic said...

Holy Poo! If I ever need to have my resume redone I think you will have write it for me! That's great response time!

GirlGoyle said...

Boy does looking for a job suck. I think it may be my least favorite thing to do. I'd rather get both my eye brows completely waxed off. Or a root canal would probably cause less anxiety and aggravation. Glad it's working out for you. I'll be on the market soon and have to get my shit together!!!